Friday, June 1, 2018

Tung Fong...

Rarely does a fare grow outside its birthplace – by soaking up colours, spices and tastes of a new home, by making new friends and patrons. While, over last few centuries, Calcutta gladly hosted the flourish of a Chinese diaspora with an entrepreneurial tilt, an adaptive cuisine, called the Calcutta Chinese, sprung to life. Tung Fong is a proud progeny of that accident! #uncookedwords



Hot on my trail of the perfect Chilli Chicken - a delicacy with an indestructible popularity, I landed at Tung Fong. Feasting on a bowlful of hot and juicy chicken - diced and tossed with red chillies, fresh celery stems and cashew nuts in a transporting soya sauce, I ambled along blurring alleys of the past. Pinching with chopsticks, first I dipped the cubes well in sauce - gently piquant, and then in warm memories – fondly recalling my spirit leaping at the prospect of hogging on Chilli Chicken and Chowmein for dinner. Pairing Chicken Fried Rice and Hakka Chow – modest, unsurprising yet savoury, lay low letting the dish taste to its potential. My brief feast ended rich. My long search ended consummated. Tung Fong pleased as an honest treasury of culinary oldies.


I will come back for more for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment