Thursday, February 28, 2019

Sauvignon Blanc

Let’s begin by misquoting the Lord to my convenience. 

A man cannot live by old-worlds alone.

Until that evening I was as loath to Sauvignon Blanc as Miles in Sideways was to Merlot. Caught unawares, I gave in coyly and over another vinous binge toasted versions of this new-world varietal with curious friends.

Crisp and refreshing Sauvignon Blanc, or Wild White, yields in almost all terroirs. Though natural acidity and early ripening keep it sharp across climes, the zing Sauvignon is loved for is born when the embracing coldness meets sunshine.

Sula bristled with what I dislike the most in vinos. An unfeeling acidity left my tongue thirsting and mouth scratchy like an overused ply-board. I chose to look on. 

Hints of Citrus and a faint scent of freshly mowed lawn notwithstanding, Niel Joubert from Paarl of South Africa just upped the clinging tartness by notches. My frown deepened.

Like most wines, Sauvignon picks roundness along the way to warmer regions. Grove Ridge of California, with the clarity of an artless belle, beamed as vibrantly as the lush backyard in spring. A typical 'Now' wine, it rallied a host of fruity notes by the tongue that almost made off sooner than had arrived. However, who wants a taste to last a lifetime? Tickled by its plainness I dubbed Grove Ridge my pick of the evening.

Hued straw-yellow bordering on green, Alan Scott - a Marlborough 2016 Savvy, was closed until we let it open up. Endowed with a racy minerality and dry finish, the lemony zest of this profound Kiwi recalled sweaty summers by the French Riviera. Measured crispness suggesting an early harvest to retain acidity [along the lines of Loire Valley Sauvignon] had a poised Alan Scott waltz away with the runner’s-up.

And, so began my hunt for another bottle of Grove Ridge!

No comments:

Post a Comment