Wednesday, May 2, 2018

Who named it Tasty?

'Tasty’. Rarely one finds an eatery flaunting a name as antithetic as this one!

Good food makes one tolerant, sympathetic, accommodative. At least that’s what it made of me [a big?]. ‘Tasty’ – a fairly old eatery on College Street, had flourished beyond my ken for years until my food-loving brother coaxed me into it. The professed purpose of ‘awaiting someone’ could easily mask the unannounced agenda of sampling its Garlic Chicken with flaky Paratas.

My tottering forbearance was finally put to the test at ‘Tasty’. As culinary adjectives, ‘Tasteless’ means different from ‘Distasteful’, though both unmistakably carry the suggestion of being unsavoury. The Garlic Chicken proved unequivocally distasteful - loud, rubbery, saucy, uncondescendingly hot, unpleasantly pungent, confused and a culinary failure. Some minor tweaking may turn it into a dish to reckon, I choose to rest the case there. The Paratas tasted good and just good. Wearing a sham smile I left in search of redemption - pledging never to return.

Was ‘Tasty’ really worth the ink-spill?

No comments:

Post a Comment