Monday, April 16, 2018

Macazzo - Kolkata's own Steak house...

Until yesterday, I didn’t know that fatless Pork Steak with Roadhouse BBQ could taste so scrumptious in the company of Hendrix playing ‘American Woman’ on his blazing Fender.

Braving the oddity of choosing Steak over Paturi on ‘Poila Boisakh’, I headed ‘Macazzo’ with a plan to lay down arms and be surprised. Friendly Bitan, knowing my knack for ‘New American Cuisine’, volunteered to order for me. The atavistic décor staged a tasteful throwback to the days of Elvis and Chuck Berry.


‘Pork Roast/ belly with Gondhoraj lime and ginger’, as starter, celebrated atypical pairing. Beneath the apparent randomness of ingredients [juicy Pork paired with pepper, onion and sesame sprinkled on top] lay an intent to catch the taste-buds unawares – forcing a reflective pause between spoonfuls tarrying the relish of an exotic fare with an eminent Bengali touch. The House sauce as base was commensurately tasty. I lapped up a bowlful with garlic breads [served on request].

‘Chicken Pizza Manhattan with BBQ sauce’ appeared an honest New Yorker – a loaded treat with the top generously tossed with spicy and meaty Chicken-cubes, sweetcorn and onion – truly filling and delectably hardcore.

Piripiri Chicken Steak and Lean Pork steak with Roadhouse BBQ came together as mains. Asking for herbed ‘rice’ on side instead of fries was a deliberate choice to honour the day. Sides [succulent Sausages, fried with notable restraint, merit mention] were good but the steaks were the stars - flavoursome, juicy, delicious and grilled to perfection. The vigorous Roadhouse BBQ called up Texan memories – brazenly bold, spicy with distinct notes of chilli pepper and cumin – very unlike Kansas’. Just the quality of rice on side lacked character and aroma.

- I’m full. Can I have the Steak packed?
- Not game for dessert?
- Surprise me!
- Brownie with Bailey’s Irish cream? 
- Yes.

With the rest of the world I too adored the phenomena of Bailey’s, the Brownie and the Brownie in Bailey’s!

Incidentally, the Brownie - fudgy, moist with a generous dose of serious liqueur and floating in a pool of watered down Bailey’s, appeared deficiently airy to soak in the juice. Perhaps a thicker, flavoured alternative like Crème Anglaise could offer a gluey, firmer base to the dessert. I leave it to you, Bitan.

As I always say - once you get past the dwarfs and the wannabes, you're in for a great meal! Indeed, I had a round one!

Bill Withers’ ‘Ain’t No Sunshine…’ was the number I crooned on my way back...

No comments:

Post a Comment