Monday, April 23, 2018

Mamagoto...the new sprightly kid in the pan-asian block!


The visit to Mamagato was everything but fortuitous. My wife and I had planned it a week ago following our return to this beautiful city after almost a decade. [Meanwhile the net and intermittent visits kept me updated on Kolkata's rapid yet steady gastronomic evolution.]

Firstly, the location of Mamagoto brought the sweet memories of 'Waldorf' back - the Chinese restaurant that once had ruled the City's heart and gourmets' tongues alike. Inside I found the pleasant chiaroscuro as welcoming as the smiling blue bear. Kanai Das, meriting mention, upon learning our preference, suggested the dishes to be tried on maiden visit. The gesture delighted.

Coming to the food - I just loved them. Period!

Work has taken me across the globe allowing visits to 'surprising' eateries. At Mamagoto, in pursuit of surprise, I neither sought 'tradition' nor Deja Vu. Traditional cuisine often fails to delight when served in strict native fashion. Immoderate allegiance to rule stunts a cuisine's growth to its potential. Mamagoto did please me - particularly with novelty & earthiness in food-presentation, warmth, balance in taste, perfectly cooked and crispy chicken-strips [loved the crackle when they succumbed between my teeth] and a variety of sauces. The attending waiter volunteered in pairing sauces with the dishes ordered.

The following items are recommended to those raring to take the plunge - Tom yum soup [perfectly thick to start a great course], prawn dumplings to accompany the soup, chicken wanton, chicken satay [loved it], chilli pepper fish in black bean sauce, chicken ribbon prawn wafer, fried egg rice [Indonesian] and Thai pad shrimp noodle. [Their one bowl of soup can serve four - trust me!] The dumplings subtly carried the hints of delicate herbs offering a unique taste profile.

I would suggest my fellow food-lovers never to 'prepare' before trying a new joint out - and just to step in with a clean 'tongue' and be surprised! I have mostly found the results worth this unpreparedness [or the risk]. Seeking waiter's help [like sommelier's for wine] while placing order for the first time has mostly stood me in good stead as far as good food is concerned. They would sincerely guide you to the ones they are best at - and that's exactly what you need!
The conclusive surprise came with the Manager's offering of a beautiful cake with delicious caramel sauce and Vanilla Ice-cream on top - gratis! Thanks Milan...

Mamagoto will definitely delight! Just go and give in...

No comments:

Post a Comment